Black Entertainment Television (BET) recently announced the results of a study showing Cleveland as the worst and Columbus tied for second with DC.
Some of the reasons listed as why Cleveland misses the mark-
- The poverty rate is high at 39.3, and 81 percent of Cleveland's students receive free or reduced-price lunches.
- The city's jobless rate is high at 23 percent, and the average median income for African Americans is an anemic $24,500.
- The city's violent crime rate index is 1,400 per 100,000 residents, more than twice the national average of 554.4.
- The property crime rate index is 6,248 – much higher than the 4,073 national index average.
- Columbus has a relatively low African American jobless rate (14 percent); a low cost of living index of 102.1 percent (the national average is 100);
- a decent median Black household income of $34,000; and high per-pupil spending ($9,946).
- The violent crime rate index is 442 per 100,000 residents; 4,826 for property crimes (the national average, respectively, is 554.4 and 4,073).