Sunday, March 18, 2007

McCain - oops, didn't mean to say "Tar Baby"

Well let's see how good McCain really is!

It does not seem to me that Sen. McCain is racist, but he will have a hell of a time getting unstuck from this baffling choice of words.

Fox News reports -
Republican presidential contender John McCain on Friday used the term "tar baby," considered by some a racial epithet, and later said he regretted it.

Answering questions at a town hall meeting, the Arizona senator was discussing federal involvement in custody cases when he said, "For me to stand here and ... say I'm going to declare divorces invalid because of someone who feels they weren't treated fairly in court, we are getting into a tar baby of enormous proportions and I don't know how you get out of that."

After the event, McCain told reporters: "I don't think I should have used that word and I was wrong to do so."

The senator said he hoped it wouldn't be viewed as a racial remark.

I do not think he meant it as a racial slur, but how else would thie remark be viewed?

1 comment:

  1. OUCH! What was he thinking? OF COURSE IT IS GOING TO BE VIEWED AS A RACIAL REMARK, regardless of what he meant by it.

    Stupid choice of words. I pray that he engages the brain before engageing the mouth from here on out. It makes all Republicans look bad.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be scared!