Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fisher exploring run for Voinovich's Senate seat

It is not often that Sen. Voinovich acts Republican, at times his conservatism can easily be questioned - but he is leaving us and the race for his replacement is heating up.

On the Republican side, George Bush reject, Rob Portman will most likely be carrying the losers torch on General election day. On the Democrat side - SOS Brunner has indicated she is interested in Vonovich's Senate seat and Lt. Governor Lee Fisher filed the paperwork for an exploratory committee for his possible run...
Fisher has set no timetable for deciding whether he will run for certain, said Lauren Goode, serving as spokeswoman. "But he expects to make his decision in the near future," she said.

Strickland a friend of both Fisher & Brunner has stated he will put his support behind Fisher should he decide to run.

2 comments:

  1. a.) do you feel its possible to be a republican and not be 100% conservative on every issue? Or are only 100% conservatives allowed in the party?

    b.) what makes rop portman a reject?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A.) Yes I feel it is possible to be a republican and not be 100% conservative on every issue. (EG - I believe Congressman LaTourette supported the SCHIP bill that I strongly oppose / yet, I did not slam him in my Bull-SCHIP post)

    I do not control who is and who isn't allowed in the party. So, IMO, no 100% conservatives are not the only people allowed in the party.

    I have been a strong supporter of John McCain since he ran against Bush in the GOP primary for Prez. As you know, many people in the party thin McCain is not a Republican. When he puts on his Sombrero and becomes Jaun McSpain - it would be safe to say he does not have me thrilled spitless.


    B.) I said Portman is a Bush reject, not that Portman himself is a reject. But his candidacy does not stoke the "go knock on doors for Rob" fire in me. I am also afraid it will have the same effect in other volunteers and our base.

    The Obamacrats will be hanging everything that goes wrong,including the sun coming up 5 minutes late, on George Bush. I fear and I believe we know, this venom will be transferred onto Portman. Combined with the already poor taste in the mouth for Republicans, I don't know if Portman would be able to overcome that hurdle along with most likely running against Fisher in the general election.

    Many may not agree, but here is what I would like to see...

    Portman run for Governor and Kasich run for Senate. Strickland will most likely be unbeatable in his bid for reelection. Kasich should not squander his popularity in an almost unwinnable race for Governor. Let Portman take one for the team and run against Strickland.

    I believe Kasich has the energy to invigorate the base and from the shores of Lake Erie to the Ohio River - get our volunteers fired up to a fever pitch in a run against Fisher or possibly Brunner.

    Then as a Senator, Kasich can run against a 2 term Gov. Strickland. By this time Ohioans will have realized Strickland has lied and has been an ineffective Governor. Maybe Kasich can ponder a run for the White House at this time. Or be a potential VP pick.

    But again - I am sure some or many will disagree.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be scared!